Decolonial Subject

To view images for each topic in the Glossary of Decolonial Material, click on the white bar and choose from the topics presented by the drop-down menu.

Valentín Tricoche Municipal Hospital

Valentín Tricoche Municipal Hospital



Architectural drawing of the old Hospital Municipal Valentín Tricoche located in the Tricoche street from the coastal city of Ponce. The building has two floors with characteristics of the Neoclassic style. On the first floor there is a portico with three semicircular arches flanked by paired pilasters that in turn support a continuous entablature. The lateral arched have double doors and are crowned with sunrise transoms, the one in the middle has a double ornamental grille. In addition, on both sides of the portico there are double windows with persiennes framed with moldings and crowned with entablatures. Aside from that, on the second floor you can see double windows with persiennes crowned with transoms and keystones. Additionally, under the windows there is a continuous cornice same as the upper border. It has a continuous entablature above which there is a low parapet that creates curves on the far ends. In the middle there is a semicircular pediment decorated with a medallion. You can also see a logo with an inscription on the upper right border that says: "PRHBDS". It was founded in 1878 with the name Albergue Caritativo Tricoche. Nonetheless, the building construction began in 1863. Like many other buildings in the area it suffered significant damages after the 1918 earthquake which is the reason why it was remodeled and it was added the second floor in 1928. Years later, in 1987 it was included in the National Register of Historic Places. It remained in use until 1999 when it ceased operations.

Beneficencia Asylum Building - San Juan (Old San Juan) - 2015 00001

Beneficencia Asylum Building - San Juan (Old San Juan) - 2015 00001



The old Beneficencia Asylum Building (Asilo de Beneficencia) is located in the Ballajá neighborhood of Old San Juan. It was inaugurated in 1844 and designed by architect Pedro García and the engineer Santiago Cortijo. The building is representative of the Neoclassical architectural style. It is painted yellow, white, green, and brown. The main facade of the building has two rectilinear pediments, one of which has high relief in its tympanum. The upper part of the main entrance has four pairs of Ionic columns, balconies, and green-colored wooden double-leaf doors with semicircular arches. The lower half has four pairs of white Doric columns with green-colored double-leaf doors and semicircular arches. These columns support an entablature that has an inscription on the metopes. The facade also has extended cornices and green-colored wooden lattice double-leaf windows framed by semicircular arches and white flat moldings. In front of the entrance is a stepped wall with railings. The building is fenced off by metallic grilles supported by various square pillars. The old Beneficencia Asylum Building later on became the headquarters of the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture. El Bastión building, built in the 19th century and served as living quarters, storage, and a jail for the Spanish troops, can be partially observed on the left side of the image. The building is painted white and has parapets. The main entrance has brick arches and a relief at the top. Later, it became a self-managed cultural center by the ACirc Association (Asociación de Artistas de Circo y Artes de Calle de Puerto Rico), an association dedicated to the arts. The street where El Morro is located, part of Jardín Paseo de Ballajá, a water fountain, people, automobiles, palms, trees, streetlights, and boundary marker posts are also visible in the image. The San Juan Bay can be seen in the distance, with the mountains and a coast view of the towns of Cataño, Toa Baja, and Guaynabo.

Beneficencia Asylum Building - San Juan (Old San Juan) - 2011 00042

Beneficencia Asylum Building - San Juan (Old San Juan) - 2011 00042



The old Beneficencia Asylum Building (Asilo de Beneficencia) is located in the Ballajá neighborhood of Old San Juan. It was inaugurated in 1844 and designed by architect Pedro García and the engineer Santiago Cortijo. The building is representative of the Neoclassical architectural style. It is painted yellow, white, green, and brown. The main facade of the building has two rectilinear pediments, one of which has high relief in its tympanum. The upper half of the main entrance has four pairs of Ionic columns, balconies, and green-colored wooden lattice double-leaf doors with semicircular arches. The lower half has four pairs of white Doric columns with green-colored double-leaf doors and semicircular arches. These columns support an entablature that has an inscription on the metopes. The facade also has extended cornices and green-colored wooden lattice double-leaf windows framed by semicircular arches and white flat moldings. In front of the entrance is a stepped wall with railings. The building is fenced off by metallic grilles supported by various square piers. The old Beneficencia Asylum Building later became the headquarters of the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture. The side facade of the old Insular Madhouse can be partially observed on the right side of the image. This building is painted yellow, mustard, white, and green. It has parapets, cornices, and green-colored wooden windows framed with white rectangular moldings. The Madhouse later became the School of Arts and Design of Puerto Rico. In the image is visible the street where El Morro is located, part of Jardín Paseo de Ballajá, people, automobiles, palms, trees, streetlights, and boundary marker posts.